Chapter -1: Who Did Patrick’s Homework? & A House, A Home
Working with Text
Answer the following questions. (Refer to that part of the text whose number is given against the question. This applies to the comprehension questions throughout the book.)
Q.1. What did Patrick think his cat was playing with? What was it really?
Ans: Patrick thought that his cat was playing with a little doll but in reality it was a man of the tiniest size, an elf.
2. Why did the little man grant Patrick a wish?
Ans: The little man granted Patrick a wish because he saved his life from the cat.
3. What was Patrick’s wish?
Ans: Patrick wish was that the little man to do all his homework till the end of the session.
4. In what subjects did the little man need help, to do Patrick’s homework?
Ans: The little man needed Patrick’s help in English, Maths and History as he was weak in these subjects.
5. How did Patrick help him?
Ans: Patrick sat beside the little man and guided him to do homework. Moreover, he brought books from library and read out to him.
6. Who do you think did Patrick’s homework – the little man, or Patrick himself? Give reasons for your answer.
Ans: It was Patrick himself who actually did all the homework. Because he had to assist the elf again and again with guidance and books.
Working with Language
A. Fill in the blanks in the sentences below with the words or phrases from the box. (You may not know the meaning of all the words. Look such words up in a dictionary, or ask your teacher.)out of luck, mystery, true to his word, chores, semester, between you and me, look up
1. Some people find household ______ a bore, but I like to help at home.
2. Who stole the diamond is still a ______.
3. This ______ we are going to have a class exhibition.
4. ______, the elf began to help Patrick.
5. Can you ______ this word in the dictionary?
6. I started early to be on time, but I was ______. There was a traffic jam!
7. She says she’s got a lot of books, but ______ I think most of them are borrowed.
4. True to his word
5. look up
6. out of luck
7. between you and me.
B. Use the clues given below to complete this crossword puzzle.
1. very tired
2. had an angry look on the face
3. short trousers
4. a fault in a machine that prevents it from working properly
5. a small and naughty boy-fairy
6. work that must be done every day, often boring
7. a basket with a lid
8. gave a short, high-pitched cry
Working with Poem
1. Do you agree with what the poet says? Talk to your partner and complete these sentences.
(i) A house is made of —————————————————––———.
(ii) It has —————————————————————————————.
(iii) A home is made by —————————————————––———.
(iv) It has —————————————––———————————————.
(i) A house is made of brick, stone, cement, hard wood, window glass, and a yard.
(ii) It has window glasses, a courtyards, tile floors, roof and lots of doors.
(iii) A home is made by loving and caring parents and children.
(iv) It has member who understand each other. They love and care for one another.